Claiming on behalf of someone else
When people rely on you, you can rely on us
There are several reasons why a person may prefer to have someone else deal with their case on their behalf. The claims process is relatively hassle-free and our legal team can take the stress out of the situation, however it can often be easier to have someone else deal with things, especially if they have more time available.
About your claim
How do I make a claim on behalf of a relative or friend?
The process is very simple. The first thing to do is to call us and tell us what happened. Anyone can contact us and make an enquiry on behalf of another person. Your call will be treated on a no-win, no-fee basis with no up front fees and you will get dedicated support from the first call.
Our team will ensure that all the relevant information available is obtained from you. Once the team has listened to what has happened and taken all the details they need, these details are passed to our legal team to confirm whether or not your relative or friend has a case.
We will let you know as quickly as possible and you will be treated in a friendly and caring manner at all times and in the strictest confidence.
Getting permission to act on behalf of your relative or friend
While you can act on behalf of your relative or friend and deal with everything, the person who has been affected by the negligence will always be our client. Therefore, if possible, it is always preferential to speak to your relative or friend first, even if it is just for them quickly to say they are happy for you to give instructions. The earlier this can happen, the better as it means we can move forward with their claim and deal with their representative right away.
First steps to a claim
Once it has been established that your relative or friend has a potential case, we are happy to continue to deal with you on their behalf:
- We always send someone out to go through the paperwork with you. It’s a 10-15 minute appointment that we arrange at a convenient time (including evenings or weekends) and place (doesn’t have to be your own home for example). Ideally, the person whose case it is will need be there for the appointment with you and sign the paperwork.
- Within the paperwork, we can include an authority for them to sign/make their mark on, confirming they are happy for us to deal with you throughout their case.
- After that we can deal with you for the whole process and speak to you about all matters on the case including updates, timescales, information requests, etc.
- The person whose case it is will still have to sign documents and, if asked, attend any doctors appointments for assessment. Clients only attend appointments once the legal team are happy there is a good chance of success with the case, and again this is always as local and as convenient as possible. It is sometimes possible for the doctor to come to them. Again, you are fine to attend any appointments with them.
- We always work on a no win no fee basis, and guarantee that if the case is not successful then you will not have to pay a penny. This is the same whether the claim is for yourself or on behalf of someone else. It costs nothing to find out if there is a case.